Well, everyone was expecting one of the biggest fines in some time after a mad 90 seconds from Benoit Paire in Washington but only £12,600 seems a little short…
Coming towards the end of the third set Benoit Paire went for an overhead and hit it into the net and then this unfolded;
- He smashed his racket four times on the court
- He then threw his racket towards the net
- He then stamps on another racket and kicks the chair
- He then throws that racket before sitting down
- Umpire gives him a point penalty for the next game
- He got up and picked up one of his smashed rackets and threw it on court
- On match point he gave up just touch the ball with Baghdatis winning
I mean, I don’t recall something like this for some time. It was caught on video from a fan on site
The fine does seem small when you consider the millions players make and losing to Baghdatis did see him walk away with just over $7000 which is around half of what he was fined.
I do think it is a soft punishment, £12,600 to me is a lot of money but to these top 50 ranked players they can go find it again in two weeks. Maybe higher fines, points deduction or a ban from tournaments should be introduced.
What do you think, fair or unfair?
Are we just getting carried away?