In Palermo over the weekend WTA tennis returned as the calendar resumed for the first time Indian Wells was cancelled back in March.
Just half an hour before action kicked off in Palermo in Saturday’s qualifying openers it was announced a un-named player had tested positive for Covid-19 but was asymptomatic and had been withdrawn from the competition.
Within the WTA rules the competition continues and a track and trace system is in place with stringent measures to assure maximum safety.
WTA events in Prague and Kentucky begin the week commencing the 10th but events on the ATP tour must wait until Cincinnati as Washington was cancelled a few weeks back.
Unfortunately despite tennis return the calendar for the remainder of 2020 does continue to shrink.
Just over a week ago it was announced that all events in China had been cancelled with the tour losing no less than eleven events and a huge chunk of events on the WTA tour including the WTA Finals in Shenzhen.
ATP and WTA event in Tokyo was on a suspended list but has since been announced to have been called off and will not take place this year.
It is possible after Roland Garros there could just be one WTA tournament left to play with Linz still not rearranged and currently only Moscow on the calendar which is updated below:
Big news out of Europe over the last 48 hours is a serious doubt in the Mutua Madrid Open taking place. Spain has began to rocket in Covid-19 positive cases and on Friday had their highest total of confirmed cases in a day since the 10th of May with over 3000 confirmed.
Madrid Open was set to be the starting block for players not heading to the USA but that looks likely to be pushed back to Rome now a week before Roland Garros.
Madrid were hoping to welcome fans to the rearranged event down at the Caja Magica but it looks increasingly unlikely. Madrid held a meeting on the 29th of July and have said they have concerns about health implications for players, fans and staff.
Madrid have asked for help from the Deputy Secretary of Public Health and Madrid and he has advised the tournament not to stage the edition this year.
To finalise their statement Madrid said:
In light of the advice of the competent health organisations, and given the difficult situation caused by covid-19 (with a considerable increase in cases in Madrid and in Spain), the organisers of the Mutua Madrid Open are analysing and closely evaluating all the possible options, while always focusing on guaranteeing the safety of all those involved in the tournament.
The final decision on the staging of the 2020 Mutua Madrid Open will fall to Ion Tiriac and Super Slam Ltd., the tournament’s licence holder